Test #1 – Adding Acetone to Collodion to Bring Back Speed.
The way I went about it is very simple, I pretty much followed Alex’s test procedure. I had the same Lea #2 collodion that was used as comparison in Test #1. A 1/6th plate size piece of black glass was scored in two places, so that later it would be easier to break it into three pieces. Using strobe lights, I made one test plate to dial in proper exposure and then made the final exposure on the pre-scored glass. After development, the plate was rinsed copiously and then split into thirds. Left part was fixed in Sodium Thiosulfate (Hypo), middle in KCN and right side in Ilford Rapid Fix. To my surprise, I saw much greater difference than I expected, with KCN showing its usual bright creamy tone, but both Hypo and Ilford tones were duller and almost into the purple range when compared to middle section. Varnishing with sandarac (last pic below) did seem to bring the tones a bit closer together, but brightness is still visibly different.